Friday, September 14, 2012

Creativity In. Technology Out.


Hello all!
I’m currently sitting in my college library, listening to some Charlene Kaye and typing away. This is a pretty great way to describe how this past week has been going for me.
I’ve taken it upon myself (with the help of a lovely person) to take a break from technology. That doesn’t necessarily mean cutting it off entirely, but I’ve been limiting my time. I’ve been limiting my time on the internet, not only because of its great distracting abilities, but because it also makes time go by so fast.
Do you ever sit down to look at one little thing on the internet… and then find yourself looking up at the clock and realizing an hour or two has gone by? It happens to me ALL THE TIME! I don’t want my time to go by so quickly. I could be doing so much more in those two hours than sitting on Twitter!
This week was all about limiting internet use and getting outside! Getting some work done!
Let me tell you… it’s been AMAZING. Instead of watching TV or turning on the computer, I’ve picked up a book. Because of this… I started and completed a book I’d been meaning to get to in two days! Awesome!
The feeling has been amazing. I’ve replaced technology with creativity. I’ve gotten SO much work done. Every day, in my free time, I come to the college library looking like a bag lady. Carrying a bag full of my school books, laptop, reading, and my writing books. I don’t connect to any wifi, and I sit and get my work down.  It’s such an amazing feeling.
I’ve also started to embrace my surroundings more. Take a step back and observe. I just walked here and saw people meeting up with friends, walking to class, the beautiful sound of the water in the fountain, the beautiful sunshine, birds chirping, the wind hitting my face. If you just sit back and look at your surroundings, you’d be amazed.
I’ve also started some amazing (and daunting) projects!
I’ve submitted a poem to one of my schools literary magazines. I’ve never shared my work with the public. It’s been scary and exciting.
In following that step, I’ve also created a blog dedicated to  my writing that I update every Tuesday and Thursday! That’s also been very nerve racking, but the response has been positive and I feel  amazing about it.
I’ve also settled on where I will be applying for a job in just a few months. I want to wait until this crazy semester is over.
And… drum roll please…
I’VE STARTED WRITING MY BOOK!
The whole idea of it was scaring the crap out of me, but since I’ve been letting the creative juices flow, I decided it was time to get to work!
I’ve got two chapters done! Of course, I’ll need to go back and revise at a later date, but It’s coming together perfectly. It’s amazing how the process of writing something triggers you for more ideas. I’m extremely proud and I think it’s going in the perfect direction.
All in all, this week has been amazing. I’ve never felt better. I’ve accomplished so many things in just a few days and I’m determined to keep the momentum going!
A few other little things before I go:
1.       Everyone MUST read every day by David Levithan. It is SO brilliant
2.       I’m about to start It’s Kind of A Funny Story
3.       I’ve also decided that I will go to Barnes and Noble every Wednesday (my day off) Don’t just sit inside because you don’t have anywhere you need to be! GET OUTSIDE!
4.       I’m about to continue on with my novel – Wahoo
5.       It was my birthday yesterday. Being twenty is scaring me. But thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes <3
6.       I will be updating this blog every FRIDAY
7.       Find me on Twitter at ChristinaBracc0
I challenge you all to get outside and do something you’ve been meaning to do! I can’t even express how amazing you will feel once you do it!
Much love, many hugs
Christina 

No comments:

Post a Comment